Rep. Paulsen applauds Minnesota’s leadership in charter schools
Last week, Minnesota’s third district congressman, Erik Paulsen (MN-3), took to the floor of the House to applaud the state’s unique role in the launching of charters schools and leading the way in public school reform nationwide. Rep. Paulsen was the author of a key amendment to HR 2218, The Empowering Parents through Quality Charter School Act, which will encourage the replication and expansion of high-quality charter schools. The bi-partisan supported bill passed the House of Representatives on August 13, 2011 and awaits action in the Senate.
National Charter School Conference, Minneapolis 2012
The National Charter School Conference was a proud moment for Minnesota’s charter school community in which its unique contribution to the launch of the charter movement was celebrated.In many ways, the conferences was also the launch of the next chapter for charter schools — using the charter model to create the nation’s highest performing and most innovative public schools. To that end, The National Alliance for Public Charter Schools released Fulfilling the Compact: Building a Breakthrough, Results-Driven Public Charter School Sector, a bold document that lays out a Charters 2.0 strategy for the next decade and beyond. As expected, the conference spawned much press and media coverage reflecting the movement’s focus on quality, including an article from The Economist, in which Minneapolis’ own Harvest Prep was featured.
CSP launches Year 2 Fellowship
On July 9th, Charter School Partners launched its 2014 Fellowship program, a highly selective, rigorous two-year school leader program which will culminate in the opening of three new high-performing, achievement-gap closing charter schools in Minneapolis in 2014. The three new Fellows are Daniela Vasan, Carl Phillips and James Robinson.
At the same event, 2013 Fellows, Angela Mansfield, school leader of ARCH Academy and Matthew Bannon, school leader of West Side Summit were honored for successfully completing year one of their Fellowship. Their schools will open in 2013.
A few summer charter-/ed-reform reads
Before school starts, here’s a few charter-/ed-reform books and articles for some good summer readings. Enjoy.
- Zero Chance of Passage, Ember Reichgott Junge
- Born to Rise: A story of Children and Teachers Reaching their Highest Potential, Deborah Kenny (Founder/CEO of Harlem Village Academies).
- A Tale of Two Schools, Daniel Lautzenheiser, Education Week, July 12, 2012.
- The Big U-Turn: How to bring schools from the brink of doom to stellar success, EducationNEXT, Emily & Bryan Hassel
- Fulfilling the Compact: Building a Breakthrough, Results-Driven Public Charter School Sector, Prepared for the National Alliance for Public Charter Schools by Public Impact, June 2012.
- An Inside View of Blended Learning at Rocketship Education, GettingSmart.com blog, July 11, 2012.